Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 3 of Windows Phone 8

So far, it's been a mixed bag with Windows Phone.  It synced my Google contacts with aplomb.  It even drew the photos taken on my Android into the new contacts. Granted, that has more to do with Google than Windows, but it's nice.

Another nice touch is that the mapping system allows you to download map packs for every state and numerous non-US regions/nations.

I have to admit that not having voice instructions, turn by turn, is lame.  I don't know why, when Nokia Drive (only on Nokia phones, but I've heard you can hack it onto other phones if you're a hacker) can do it and Bing Maps can track you live and give on-screen turn by turn (as opposed to spoken) directions.

One huge plus is that you can delete the bloatware that your carrier installs.  This is a huge boon to people that hate having to look at apps that are really advertisements to buy other crap from your carrier.  I was able to delete T-Mobile TV and 411 & More...stuff that I couldn't remove from Android until I rooted my device.

I miss Spotify and being able to sync my playlists.  I've been trying to use the free Xbox Music Pass to replace it, but that's been a nightmare.  It took me over a day to get their server to send me an acknowledgement code.  When I finally did, the service simply would not recognize that I had a Windows phone.  I called tech support and they told me that they had no idea about my problem and told me to search the Windows Phone forums.  Nice...not.  I did do so and found this is a common problem.  The solution? Factory reset your phone.  This results in a complete wipe.  Apparently, the service will not rescan to find your device.  One user said his phone had this problem and it was found by the service an hour later.  I let mine sit overnight with no luck.  This sounds like a serious bug. 

After resetting my phone to get Xbox Music to work, it looks like it might be a nice service.  Not sure others would give it thus much work.  On top of that, their app store was very confusing.  There is no on-phone "my apps" like on Google (there is online) so, when I tried to reinstall my purchased apps, it told me to buy the apps again.  This had me very upset until the phone told me (after I clicked to buy again) that I had already purchased the app and it asked me if I wanted to install again.  Not intuitive at all.

See you at the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment